Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Use It or Lose It


For most of my adult life, I've been active -by design. I've either body-surfed, bicycled, walked, took aerobics classes, cross-country machined, or did resistance training. I've always lived by the axiom, Use It or Lose It.

Last year, I began experiencing pain at the gym. Not the usual did-too-much-today type of pain, but a definite ouch!-type of pain. After six months of trying to push through it, I talked to my Internist, who eventually sent me to a Rheumatologist. I won't bore you with the details, but blood tests and a detailed history suggested Lupus. Treatment: anti-malarial drugs (!) and rest, lots of rest. The M.D. said that the pain I feel is actually damage to my connective tissue, so pushing through it is not a smart idea.

Not what I wanted to hear! I love being active; it was part of my almost-daily routine. And we are always told,
Stay active to be healthy! I pouted, 'All those years of being active have ended here??!'

Well, after six months of rest and medication, I am starting to feel somewhat better. So today, I laced up my trusty Asics and ventured out to our local community college where they have a great new cushioned track (see photo). I did a mile of medium-paced walking. I can say it was uncomfortable, but not too painful.

I am elated... it appears I won't have to
Lose It after all! =D

6 comments:

Four peas in a pod said...

Wonderful!!!

.....Walk a mile for me. I've already lost it!

:-0

Four peas in a pod said...

Hey, how come I'm not under voices you love???

No link to one of the cutest kids in the world??

not2brightGRAM said...

Hey, Sis! I've got you under Family Connections.

(and I do love your voice)

Four peas in a pod said...

Did I miss that?

not2brightGRAM said...

No, in the past few days I've been tweaking my blog, and you caught it between tweaks...

This and That said...

Let me know what saturday morning you want to go walk on the JC Track. I would love to go with you.