Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Brevity

I am embarrassed to admit that I am old enough to remember WESTERN UNION telegrams. In fact, for a short time, I worked for a company that sent and received telegrams.

Telegrams were paid for by the word. The trick was to make your telegram say what you wanted it to say in as few words as possible.

Today, while text messaging (on my cell phone, for those who might not actually be functioning in the 21st century) back and forth with my niece and later my daughter, it struck me that things haven't changed all that much in 30 years. True, we don't pay for text messaging by the word, but it's still a challenge to say what you want it to say in as few words as possible!

"ruok? i'm gr8. cu l8tr"

TTFN! ;-)

7 comments:

Jess(ica) said...

While we may not get charged per word, there is often a word limit and if you go over the limit, it takes 2 messages to send what you wrote... "charging" you for 2 Text's. It is fun to see how creative you can get when sending a TM!

not2brightGRAM said...

Yes, Jess, it is... and you are the Text QUEEN!

This and That said...

Boy you are more in the know when it comes to text messaging than I am. It took me a while to decipher the text message codes! =)

Jess(ica) said...

Every once in a while when I text uncle mike, he will call me back because texting takes too long - haha. Maybe he has gotten better now, though... =)

Yeah, I do text a lot. It is because it's easier than calling and the person can respond in their own time =)

not2brightGRAM said...

U R 2 funny! <3 u!

3dingsandadog said...

I am the worst at text messaging. I always call back because it takes me forever to write back...LOL

I use to laugh at my grandparents for not knowing or learning how to use a VCR and here I am only 31 and not up to speed...'

oh well...lol

Four peas in a pod said...

I don't like texting because it takes too long! Until I get a "contraption" with a keyboard, I won't be texting! Jess, I use to text you when I had more time...on the long train trips home!