Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Eat Your Vegetables and Be Thankful!

Did you know Pumpkin is a healthy vegetable?

If you're into nutrition, that fact will ease your mind when you bake these absolutely delicious
Pumpkin Bars

1 cup vegetable oil (I use light olive oil)
2 cups pumpkin (1 small can)
3 eggs
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsps. cinnamon
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and blend thoroughly by hand or with a mixer. Pour into a greased and floured jelly roll pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 mins.

Cool and top with
Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
7 tsps. melted butter

And you thought vegetables were boring! =D

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you fixing this for Thanksgiving? sounds good!

Anonymous said...

I thought all veggies were healthy?

not2brightGRAM said...

Mom: Yes, I made these this evening to have on hand for company coming tomorrow.

Jessica: Some are healthier than others! Consider corn vs. broccoli...

christianne said...

Mmmm . . . sound YUM! And like it would be very easy to make (even the frosting!). From one non-cook to another, I thank you. :)

christianne said...

Oh, and PS: I've decided you have become quite the blogging gal. You've settled right in, haven't you? So glad -- it's fun to visit you in your space over here.

not2brightGRAM said...

Christianne, thanks; we non-culinary-types need to help each other out! This recipe is EASY and makes you look like you're a pro. ;-)

This and That said...

What time should I swing by on Thursday? I can go for about an hour. I was thinking some time after dinner? To say hello and maybe grab a pumpkin bar =)

not2brightGRAM said...

Hi Yvette... glad to see you here!

I'm thinking about naming these bars Bumpkey's Pumpkin Bars. What do you think? Too corny?

I'm excited that you can come by. Why don't you stop in about 3:30 or 4:00? We should be slicing Gee Gee's famous pumpkin pie by then. Can't guarantee there will be any pumpkin bars left, since my out-of-town guests start rolling in tomorrow. =D