Wednesday, April 16, 2008

How I am Feeling


In the The Silver Chair, a Chronicle of Narnia book by C.S. Lewis, there is a character named Puddleglum. His personality is much like mine. A pessimist. Always expecting the worst. An Eeyore.

Nevertheless, when the chips are really down, he knows where to look. Up.

In one significant scene, the characters -Puddleglum, Jill and Scrubb- have left the wonderful land of Narnia to search for its abducted prince, and are now captive in a distant dark Underworld. They have found the prince, but have hit an obstacle: the wicked Witch who kidnapped him. She is casting a spell, and Puddleglum's companions are quickly falling under her bewitching. Puddleglum is resisting with all his might. I'll quote the story from this point, beginning with the words of Jill, one of the good companions...

"I suppose that other world (Narnia) must be all a dream."

"Yes. It is all a dream," said the Witch, always thrumming on her magic fiddle.

"Yes, all a dream," said Jill.

"There never was such a world," said the Witch.

"No," said Jill and Scrubb, "never was such a world."

"There never was any world but mine," said the Witch.

"There never was any world but yours," said they.

Puddleglum was fighting hard. "I don't rightly know what you all mean by a world," he said, talking like a man who hasn't enough air. "But you can play that fiddle till your fingers drop off, and you still won't make me forget Narnia; and the whole Overworld, too. We'll never see it again, I shouldn't wonder. You may have blotted it out and turned it dark like this, for all I know. Nothing more likely.

"But I know I was there once. I've seen the sky full of stars. I've seen the sun coming up out of the sea of a morning and sinking behind the mountains at night. And I've seen him up in the midday sky when I couldn't see him for his brightness."



Lately, my world has seemed dark. But, I have seen the Sun. And I shall never forget the Son in His brightness...

1 comment:

This and That said...

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to brighten your day. =) We could go for a walk and to the yogurt mill sometime soon !