Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cool Geography Games


A friend of ours, Ron Tagliapietra, is an avid mountain hiker, published author, and a professor who has created several on-line geography games. Here is the email he sent us... give his games a try!

"Dear friends,

I now have 22 geography games on the website, http://purposegames.com . Links for games appear below. When you are done playing a game, you can hit the back button to rate the game and/or to post comments on its strengths or weaknesses. My games need players, so I hope you will check them out.


The most popular games on the site are identifying the 50 US states and identifying the countries on 4 continents. I made country games for 2 other continents.

N. America (23 countries, 4 territories):


Oceania (14 countries, 3 territories):



City games are also popular. I have contributed 5 of these.

Capitals of North American countries (23 capitals)


Capitals of Oceania (14 capitals)


Cities
in California (18 with populations of 200,000)

Largest city in each state
(question format)



While nowhere near as popular, hikers may be interested in these 8 games.

22 Cascade Mountains

40 Southern Sixers

Highest waterfall in all 50 states

National Parks (all 58)


50 state highpoints

13 Canadian highpoints

5 county highpoints in HI


14 islands in Hawaii

Counties
Every state has a county game except NY, VA, and maybe NC, just search the site for the state. To find WV, you must search for "counties". I stumbled on MS (and maybe NC) and don't know how to find them. The CO and AK games are not up to date (missing newest counties). I made the 7 county games listed below (in order of popularity):

RI (5 cos.)
OR (36 cos.)
VT (14 cos.)
MA (23 cos.)
SC (46 cos.)
MN (87 cos.)
MT (56 cos.)

I am working on a game for the most powerful waterfall in each state. I will probably also eventually do county games for the 3 missing states.

Finally, there is a worldwide prominent mountains game (made by Wentu).


Please try out some of my games!
ron tag (my nickname on purposegames.com)"

No comments: