Friday, May 15, 2009

Two Government Employees

~~~


Every day, I go to the Post Office, at least once. I've gotten to know a lot of the employees. Some are great, others not. Consider these two:

Employee A:

He finishes weighing my pre-paid packages, preparing to scan them in and give me a receipt. "Uh-oh, this one is an ounce over! You need 11 cents more on the package."

I've already waited 10 minutes in line and am standing there with only my cell phone and my keys. I say, half joking, "Have you got 11 cents in your pocket? I'll give you a quarter next time I see you!"

He smiles, slaps an 11-cent stamp on the package, and waves me on.



Employee B:

She finishes weighing my pre-paid packages, preparing to scan them in and give me a receipt. "Uh-oh, this one is one/hundredth of an ounce over! You need 11 cents more on the package."

I've already waited 10 minutes in line and am standing there with only my cell phone and my keys. I say, "One/hundredth of an ounce over?!?! You're kidding me! You mean .01 of an OUNCE?!"

She plants her feet squarely on her little rubber mat, looks me in the eye and says, "11 cents please! Next time, don't lean so heavily on your pen when you write!"

"I don't have my wallet with me. Are you really going to insist on the next rate for one/hundredth of an ounce?" I ask incredulously.

She slides the package back to me, and just glowers. This is a day I will definitely be making two trips to the Post Office.

2 comments:

mom said...

all I can say is it is hard to believe!!!!! no wonder the PO is having problems...believe

3dingsandadog said...

This is why people go "postal"!!! I can't believe she said that. LOL